It’s December and the winter season is making me crave my Mum’s staple Sunday breakfast dish - Bread Rolls. Thankfully I’m writing this from Delhi and we might be making them soon :)
So here you go, my mother’s punjabi bread roll recipe! Enjoy ♥️
- White Bread - trim the sides
We use white bread for a better bind. You can use gluten free or other healthier breads, though it may not stick as well.
- Salt Pepper
- Chat Masala
- Fresh mint and coriander leaves
- Packeted peas or half boiled fresh peas
- Anardana whole
- Green chillies chop finely
- Omum seeds / Ajwain (Optional)
- Saunf (Optional)
- Grated ginger
- Boil the potatoes, peel and mash.
- Chop the coriander, mint leaves and chillies finely.
- Mix all ingredients above except the bread with the potatoes. Mix well into a dough like mixture.
- Take a flat dish. Put some water in it to soak the bread.
- Take a slice of bread, dip it in water, squeeze excess water out, take 2tbsp of potato mixture (approximately with hand), put in the middle of the soaked bread and press it with your hands shaping it into a roll. Make all the rolls and keep aside for 15mins.
- Deep fry the rolls on medium flame.
- Best had with coriander mint chutney and chai!
- If using atta bread or gluten free bread, the shape of the roll might disintegrate while frying.
- When dipping the bread in water and squeezing out excess water, don’t be too slow. The bread will break in the water and you’ll be left with quite a mess.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!